This week in the Conference Coverage section, we’ve posted another interview with Dr. Susan O’Brien out of UCI where we discussed an ASCO 2016 abstract about liver inflammation associated with idelalisib in relapsed CLL patients. You can view that interview here.
We’re pleased to announce that we’ve posted a CLL Doctor List in our CLL Toolbox. This list is composed of CLL physicians recommended by our readers. We appreciate all who contributed to the list. Thank you! You can access it here.
Upcoming Patient Support Meetings
Indianapolis, IN: CLL and Indolent Blood Cancers Support Group October 3rd at 6:00 PM. More information can be found here.
Tucker, GA: LLS Family Support Group October 4th at 7:00 PM. More information can be found here.
San Diego, CA: UCSD CLL Support Group October 5th at 4:00 PM. More information can be found here.
Live in the Charlotte, NC Area? A new CLL Patient & Caregiver Support and Education Group will be starting in partnership with the Levine Cancer Institute – Morehead in Charlotte, North Carolina. The first meeting will take place on Tuesday, October 18th at 6:30 PM. Patients and family caregivers are welcome. Find out more about dates and registration here.
Live in Tampa, FL? Another NEW CLL Patient & Caregiver Support and Education Group will be starting in Tampa this fall: Tentative Meeting Date November 1st at Moffitt Cancer Center. Stay tuned for details!
If you’re aware of other CLL Patient Support Group meetings, let us know and we’ll post them. Thanks!
Patient Education Meetings
From time to time, we will make you aware of in-person Patient Education meetings coming up for those of us affected by CLL and lymphoma, specifically:
- Wednesday, September 21st at 6 PM at the New York Marriott East Side in New York City: The Lymphoma Research Foundation will be hosting Updates on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma as part of their Ask the Doctor series. Rick Furman from New York Presbyterian – Weill Cornell Medical (also part of the CLL Society Medical Advisory Board) is the featured speaker. You can find out more information and register here. Dinner will be served and there is no charge to attend.
- Saturday, October 8th at 9 AM at the Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe: The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society will be hosting their New York/New Jersey Metropolitan Area Blood Cancer Conference. Dr. Anthony Mato from the Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA will be speaking during the CLL breakout session. You can find out more information and register here. Breakfast and lunch will be served and there is no charge to attend. Parking is also complimentary.
Heads Up! The CLL Society has become aware of a series of unbranded patient education meetings coming up in September and October (with a few more to come in November and December). CLL patients will share their personal stories, and local CLL experts will be providing a talk on the basics of CLL. A complimentary meal will be provided and parking is free. You are welcome to bring a guest.
One member of the CLL Society will be at each meeting to show a brief video and give a talk about the impact support and education groups have had on their CLL journey. We will provide practical tips and support for setting up a local CLL group and will stay afterwards to meet with attendees who may be interested in participating in a support group in those areas. We look forward to meeting you there. After tonight’s meeting, the next 8 confirmed meetings are:
- Wednesday, September 21st in Madison, WI. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Saturday, September 24th in Framingham, MA. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Thursday, September 29th in Portland, OR. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Tuesday, October 4th in Phoenix, AZ. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Thursday, October 6th in Park Ridge, NJ. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Tuesday, October 11th in Bloomington, MN. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Tuesday, October 25th in Golden, CO. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Saturday, October 29th in San Francisco, CA. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
In the meantime….
We are all in this together.
Brian Koffman, MD