This content was current as of the date it was released. In science and medicine, information is constantly changing and may become out-of-date as new data emerge.
Another familiar story as I’m packing my bags to attend the 2016 CLL Horizons meeting in Serbia this week. I will serve as faculty and part of the steering committee for the newly forming CLL Advocacy Network, a global network of organizations representing people with CLL. The main goal of this first CLL Horizons conference is to build capacity in patient advocates to support people affected by CLL.
In addition to getting ready to getting ready for the next ASH meeting, we’re also working on the content for the next issue of The CLL Tribune. If you have a question for our Ask The Doctor section, you can submit it here. No question is too silly to ask and you can be sure others have the same questions.
Today in the Conference Coverage section, we’ve posted a summary and link to the ASH abstract we wrote based on the results from our Reader Poll in the Q1 2016 issue of The CLL Tribune where we asked you about what was important to you when making treatment decisions for your CLL. You can view my article and see the abstract here.
Patient & Caregiver Support Meetings
November 7th @ 6:00 pm in Indianapolis, the CLL and Indolent Blood Cancers Support Group will be meeting. See more information here.
If you’re aware of other CLL Patient Support Group meetings, let us know and we’ll post them. Thanks!
Post-ASH CLL Patient Educational Forum at City of Hope
We’re excited to announce that on Saturday, December 17th, in partnership with City of Hope Medical Center and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the CLL Society will be hosting the second annual Post-ASH CLL Educational Forum at City of Hope. Dr. Tanya Siddiqi will be presenting on the latest data on Diagnosis and Frontline Treatment and Dr. Steven Rosen will present on Relapsed Disease and Novel Therapies. You can access the flyer here and pre-registration is requested. We look forward to seeing you there.
Patient Education Meetings
From time to time, we will make you aware of in-person Patient Education meetings coming up for those of us affected by CLL and lymphoma, specifically:
- Wednesday, November 16th at 6 PM at the Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport – Mall of America in Bloomington, MN: The Lymphoma Research Foundation will be hosting Updates on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma as part of their Ask the Doctor series. Timothy Call, from the Mayo Clinic is the featured speaker. You can find out more information and register here. Dinner will be served and there is no charge to attend.
- Friday, November 18th from 7:30 AM to 2:15 PM at the Hilton Hotel City Avenue in Philadelphia, PA: The Abramson Cancer Center in partnership with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society will be hosting 9th Focus on Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myeloma and Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplantation Conference. Anthony Mato is the featured speaker for the CLL Workshop. You can find out more information and register here.
- Wednesday, December 14th at 6 PM at the Washington Marriott Georgetown in Washington DC: The Lymphoma Research Foundation will be hosting Updates on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma as part of their Ask the Doctor series. Dr. Chaitra S. Ujjani from Georgetown University Hospital is the featured speaker. You can find out more information and register here. Dinner will be served and there is no charge to attend.
Heads Up! The CLL Society has become aware of a series of unbranded (no specific drug discussion) patient education meetings coming up in November. CLL patients will share their personal stories, and local CLL experts will be providing a talk on the basics of CLL. A complimentary meal will be provided and parking is free. You are welcome to bring a guest.
One member of the CLL Society will be at each meeting to show a brief video and give a talk about the impact support and education groups have had on their CLL journey. We will provide practical tips and support for setting up a local CLL group and will stay afterwards to meet with attendees who may be interested in participating in a support group in those areas. We look forward to meeting you there. The next 3 confirmed meetings are:
- Thursday, November 10th in Metairie, LA. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Thursday, November 15th in Independence, OH. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
- Wednesday, November 16th in Austin, TX. More details in the flyer. Access it here.
In the meantime….
We are all in this together.
Brian Koffman, MD