How well CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) patients respond to the SARS-C0V-2 vaccine is the question we are all asking.
Fortunately, answers should be coming soon.
CLL Society wants you to know that Dr. Sameer Parikh of the Mayo Clinic has already begun testing Mayo’s blood cancer patients to check immune response to the SARS-CoV-2 inoculation at their clinic sites in Rochester, MN, Scottsdale and Phoenix, AZ, and Jacksonville, FL. They will soon be able to consent their blood cancer patients, including those with CLL, by phone. Once patients understand the trial and agree to enroll, Mayo will mail blood collection kits to patients’ homes to have their blood drawn locally. The samples will then be returned by mail.
At this time, this trial is open only to Mayo Clinic patients, past or present.
Here is the link to the trial for more details: Immunogenicity and Safety of Commercially Available Vaccines Against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) in Patients With Hematologic Malignancies
Contact Julianne Lunde, MA (507)266-2657 email@example.com
Additionally, Dr. Chaitra Ujjani, University of Washington, Seattle, is leading a multicenter trial with partners at CLL centers of excellence across the country to study immune response to the vaccine in CLL. Proposed sites are
- University of Washington – Drs. Chaitra Ujjani and Mazyar Shadman
- MSKCC – Drs. Lindsey Roeker and Anthony Mato
- Dana Farber – Dr. Matthew Davids
- City of Hope – Drs. Alexey Danilov and Tanya Siddiqi
- Georgetown – Dr. Catherine Lai
- Huntsman in Utah – Dr. Deborah Stephens
- San Diego – Dr. Michael Choi
- OHSU – Dr. Stephen Spurgeon
- Irvine – Dr. Susan O’Brien
- MDACC – Dr. Philip Thompson
- Northwell – Dr. Jacqueline Barrientos
- Ohio state – Drs. Kerry Rogers and Jennifer Woyach
This trial should be opening soon.
LLS (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society), BeTheMatch and several individual academic centers are at various stages of developing and rolling out similar trials.
We will update you as soon as we have more information on all these important trials. CLL Society is proud to play a role in helping get these answers.
Stay strong. We are all in this together.
Brian Koffman MDCM (retired) MS Ed
Co-Founder, Executive VP and Chief Medical Officer
CLL Society, Inc.