I think this is an excellent article that all of us with chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma (CLL / SLL) can relate to somehow.
I wish the thoughts it expresses were broadly picked up and went viral. The world would be a better place for us and, frankly, everyone if the understanding, compassion, and sensitivity behind them became a new public meme.
Here are the five key points from the article, but please read the whole piece: What Not To Say To Immunocompromised People Right Now
- Don’t ask why someone is wearing a mask.
- Don’t say COVID isn’t a serious risk anymore.
- Don’t say: “But you can get vaccinated!”
- Don’t assume everyone’s relieved.
- Do be open to questions about what you’ve been doing.
If 97% of the immunocompetent population listened to this wise counsel, we would all feel much better.
Please help spread these sentiments where and however you can. They are bipartisan and compassionate.
Stay strong. We are all in this together.
Brian Koffman MDCM (retired) MS Ed (he, him, his)
Co-Founder, Executive VP, and Chief Medical Officer
CLL Society, Inc.